Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Work. Or, Work!

Driving in my car (take me out, tonight) I was struck by some thoughts as I was passing that giant ugly Universal Amphitheater sign.

In order for us to do Good Jobs, we have to approach everything we do from 9 to 5, or 8 to 7, as if it is just as meaningful as the things we do for ourselves on our own time. At least for me, I think it will be the only way to get things done well. I suppose this is what it means when people talk about "owning" things or "getting their arms around" other things. The latter string of words falls squarely into a category that I have ranted on here about before. That phrase though is quite interesting because it calls to mind the concept of incoporation, actually putting an idea or task right next to or even inside your body, with perhaps even some sort of Capitalist undertones. Instead of hugging a person that we love to our collective breast, we are supposed to hug tight a concept, or a task, or series of tasks.

So, in other words, I'm supposed to press a meaningless task to mySelf and then I'm a good person/worker. Isn't that counter to every psychological professional's insistence that we must maintain strong boundaries? Am I wrong people?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home